A place where you can park your bike, come in, sit down and enjoy some good food and company

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Riding solo with Mr Parker

 All work and no play.... Well today was a day off. So when the rain clouds broke, it was time to get on the bike. I had been cleaning and "tuning" the fleet. Its very hard to decide which one to take. Will it be wet and muddy? puddles? will I go far? or just to the bike shop? The sun was bright enough to take the Parker out. I had just repaired a flat tire left over from the last ride. Mr Parker as I call him, is my personal favorite. Hand built frame from a small time builder in Portland OR. Put together with love from a friend who is a Pro Tour tech. Using the best components I could afford :p   Its a screamer. I usually don't like to take him out in the wet but I felt "the need for speed" today. I love that I can roll out of the garage and head out for the hills. A quick trip though the neighborhoods of Carmichael and Fair Oaks. Picking the biggest hills I could find to warm up on. Then out to Sunrise walk bridge to get on the American River Bike trail. Turn left and head uphill. Not much bike traffic but plenty of family's with dogs and kids on new bikes swaying into traffic. Passed the fish hatchery which was closed and some old confused man was stuck behind the cones in his car? I'm not sure how he did that but I stopped to help him out. Then up the south side of Natomas lake up to Old town Folsom. I rode up Sutter street...Man those pubs looked good...and the smell of garlic coming from Chicago Fire...  Over the old rainbow bridge and up up up to Beals Point. One lap around the parking lot and back down the hill. I was still feeling good so I detoured over the new Dam road. Lots o water coming out from the Dam. Climed up to Natomas(?)  and turned right toward the Prison. Lots of cows and turkeys along the way. Turn right at the Zoo and head back to the bike trail. Took the trail back on the north side of the lake. Mostly down hill at this point,legs getting tired. I pushed the hills to keep the big ring turning. Always a momentum killer at Hazel bridge where you have to wait at the light. A runner came up to the light, only wearing shoes and shorts.... burrrrrr. Cruised back to Sunrise park dodging kids,dogs and old people who walk right down the middle of the trail. Shoot through the Park to Bannister and back through the neighborhoods to home sweet home.  Over all a great ride,not many puddles. Approx  28 miles, A good day. Now time to reward myself with a pint!

1 comment: